Monday, July 10, 2023

Sunday....a day of rest, well not exactly.


Sunday....a day of rest, well not exactly.  What I negated to tell you yesterday while writing about Saturdays events is that I woke up Sunday morning at 1:30 a.m. to a smell that I couldn't quite put my finger on as to what it was.  First off let me start by telling you I have very acute sense of smell.  (It can be a curse at times.) I tried to get back to sleep but  alas my nose was not allowing me to do so.  In these circumstances it is best I just get up.  Ugh!!!  Now remember I did go to bed the night before around 9:00 p.m. so I had gotten a "few" hours of sleep.  Okay back to the "smell".  

After years of being on boats you get used to certain smells and become familiar with them, fuel smells, food smells, and well bodily smells, you get the idea.  I knew at this point it was not necessary to wake Mike as the boat was still afloat and nothing was on fire.  Around 7:00 a.m. I finally woke Mike and told him about the odor.  He agreed that he had smelled something earlier but figured it was his work pants from the day before.  Remember he spent the day working on the engine.  So he proceeded to pull up the hatch in the floor of the galley and check the black water tank for the head.  He couldn't get a real good look at it but we both were thinking it was full.  (I will leave this up to your imagination on this one.) Remember the boat has not been moved since it was first put here back in May.  (No pump out).  On top of that he also noticed that the float switch on the bilge pump was not working.  Lord what else was going to go wrong.  (Oh wait there is more.). So there was water and lord knows what else collecting in the bottom of the boat.  Yep that's gross so we aren't going to think about it too much.  It wasn't nasty just smelly.   So that we now added to the things that needed to be fixed.  

For now though on to more pressing items.  Mike worked most of the morning on putting the engine back together.  I am still flabbergasted at the knowledge this man has!  The engine went back together, not without a few choice "oh sh_ts" in the process but it was back together.  Now my job was to go up top to turn the engine on quickly so Mike could check something out.  Well I went to turn the key and "nothing happened".  Mike soon came to realize that there was (is) an issue with the electrical system to the engine.  Seriously what else is going to go wrong?  He then spent a couple of hours working on tracing wires and such.  To quote Mike it's a rat's nest of wires to things that aren't even on the boat anymore.  After several hours of Mike working on the boat he decided to call it a day.  We had plans that evening to meet some friends in Newark for a bite to eat and to relax for a while.  First though we hit the showers and then made a trip to Rochester to the West Marine to pick up two float switches for the bilge pumps, then it was off to Newark. Our visit with Mark and Teri was delightful and just what we needed.  They could commiserate with us in regards to boat issues as they too were dealing with issues on their boat.

So the plan for today (weather permitting) is that Mike will continue to track down the electrical issue, install the float switches on the bilge pumps and hopefully get the other engine working.  At the very least we will work to get the boat over to the pump out on the one engine that is working.  I will work on making meals, cleaning up, doing some laundry and being around to get whatever Mike needs.  



Just some calming boat pics.


Tomorrow though is going to be a well deserved fun day!  We are heading over to Skoog Farm to meet our daughter and son in law who are currently in Niagara Falls enjoying a fun anniversary getaway. The Skoogs have invited these two cuties to spend the night on the farm. (Amanda is dying to spend time with the horses.) I am so looking forward to these 4 meeting each other.  Yes there will be lots of photos.   


 I leave you with these lovely, happy faces.  

(By the way on a side note I did finally got a pretty good nights sleep.)

Here's hoping we make some progress today.  

Happy Monday!  

3 comments:

  1. I am still praying for a great day and easier fixes for the boat. Have a great time at the Skoogs! Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to catch some breaks with the boat. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm "jelly" that we aren't there with you. If you tell me that Little W falls in love with Amanda and Kent and showers them with kisses and snuggles, I may have to stop speaking all of you. 😘 Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...