Since our marina is located right on the Erie Canal we often times see boats cruising by. (See photo above.) The canal is a beautiful place to cruise. We are looking forward to the day when Kismet it ready to take this journey once again.
Before breakfast (and the rains) Mike went around once again pouring epoxy into the places that were leaking. This is a lengthy process but it has made some noticeable improvements. We are down to 2 major leaks in the forepeak, 1 in the galley and 2 in the salon. It hasn't helped (or maybe it has) that it's rained every day but one since we arrived.
After Mike finished with the epoxy pours we had a small breakfast and coffee (of course) and started in on the days projects. The above photo is the view from the bow of our boat. Climbing the hill is something you do dozens of times a day. The Office, head, laundry, dumpster, and our car are all located up this hill. Yesterday we saw our first snake. Mike just about stepped on it as it was so well hidden in the grass. He assured me it was a small guarder snake. Speaking of animals can any of my bird friends tell me what this bird is below. It came to visit me Sunday morning. I think it is a blue bird but I am not sure.
The days major project was taking out the large cabinet from the forepeak and then begin building the new bunk. Mike was quick to get started as living with our mattresses in the main living area is getting a bit old. Since it's obvious by the photos there is only room in the forepeak for one person to work this was going to be Mike's project. I helped by hauling out the pieces he was removing and doing clean up in the end, otherwise I just did my best to stay out of the way.
I tackled the caulking in the galley that needed replaced. We had some leaking behind this partial wall and I came to the conclusion water was leaking through the holes in the caulk from the water splashing out of the sink. This was my first time working on something like this.
It had been a cool and rainy day and the boat was a bit chilly. So after finishing my projects and waiting to clean after Mike finished in the forepeak I decide to sit for a minute to figure out the menus for the next couple days. I made myself a cup of tea and enjoyed drinking it out of a cup I picked up at the local Goodwill for 99 cents. Oh the little joys in life can be so satisfying.
Mike finished working on the forepeak at 5. Afterwards we headed up to the showers which seemed to be the norm. Work all day then take a shower. Afterwards I started dinner. Mike had completed the install on the stove top and I wanted to start putting it to good use. The food we currently had in the fridge was stuff I had brought from home along with some dried goods. I decided to make a pasta with part of the spaghetti sauce I had left over from the pizza I made early in the week. I cooked the pasta and then realized I didn't have a strainer. So as our motto here goes, "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" I cleaned out a small plastic storage basket and used that. It worked really well.
I have come to learn on a 2 burner stove like this you can only use one burner at full power so to speak. Once you turn on the other burner the other one looses some of it's ooomphf. Sorry don't know the technical lingo here. So I used the method my daughter taught me to bring the water to a boil when making pasta then add the pasta and turn the burner off. You may have to let the pasta sit a little longer but it works perfectly. Specially when you use gluten free pasta, which I do. I then was able to cook that sauce at full power on the other burner. One thing I learned many years ago is while living on a boat having good food to eat helps keep the Captain and crew happy. Since going out to eat is not in the budget you learn to cook with minimal supplies. It's a challenge and I love it!
The Captain also knows the benefits of a working galley.












I think the bird is a swallow. Is this marina just off Route 31? I lived in Newark for many years although I grew up in Brockport. It looks familiar.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Bird is a barn swallow.
ReplyDeleteLove you rolling with the unexpected (strainer ingenuity) Jana.