Sunday, July 9, 2023

Work and rest


Our main reason, well at least the biggest reason for being here at the boat is to get it ready to sell.  The saying is "the two best days in a boaters life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it".  Well we now look forward to selling it.  We enjoyed the time spent on Kismet.  Working to get her in better shape than we found her and of course our few adventures we were able to take her on.  Unfortunately the adventure just didn't shape up to be what we had hoped for so it's time to move on.


I had the job of getting her all cleaned up and ready to take photos of for the boat broker (realtor).  I was bound and determined that I would take the photos of her myself as the quality of photos I have seen listed on other boat ads has not been the best.  So since it rained the majority of the day Friday it was a good take to take on this task. (pictures to follow)







Mike worked on installing a new bilge pump and assisted me in sorting through things.  Another job we have is clearing out all of our belongings so that we can take them home.  Seriously I do not remember bringing so much STUFF!


By dinner time the rain had stopped, it had cooled down a bit and the sun actually came out.  We sat "out back" for a little while and discussed what our next days tasks would be and well what the future might hold.  


Friday nights sleep was so much better than Thursdays as the temperature had dropped considerably.  We even had to pull on the heavier blankets in the morning.  Which is a good thing after the sweltering heat from the day we arrived.  


Saturday morning was beautiful.  You could just tell it was going to be a better day.  We had both gotten a bit better nights sleep and were ready for what the day had in store.  The big job of the day was Mike was going to start work on the second engine and putting it back together.  Thank heavens the weather was much better to preform such a task.  


I fixed us our usual breakfast and soon afterwards Mike was hard at work.  I cleaned up the boat, made the bunks and took a shower.  My main job for the day was to be on hand to help Mike in any way I can.  Since I have no mechanical skills I was to be the gopher.  



I was close by keeping myself busy by painting.


Now let's talk about Mike.  This man as I have said many times before never ceases to amaze me.  His mechanical skills are top notch and if there is something he may not quite know how to tackle he knows who to contact to find out how.  He contorts himself into places that most people wouldn't even think of.  We can't necessarily afford to have the "shop guys" work on her beside the fact Mike doesn't have much confidence in the one guy they do have here.  So he has done the majority of the work on Kismet himself and what a fantastic job he has done.  We would never be able to do half the adventures we've done if it weren't for the skills we have both acquired. Sunday he will put the final touches to the engine.  Here's hoping/praying it starts with ease.
 



Then there are the small absolute crazy things that you contend with living on a boat.  I was working on making some tuna salad for lunch and came to find out that the can opener was, well..... not working.  It had rusted and no amount of WD40 and a screw driver was going to pry it free.  Thank heavens for friendly boat neighbors (Laurel) who so kindly loaned me the use of her opener.  Yes I opened all 4 cans and put them in the fridge as to not to have to bother her again.  (No I wasn't going to go buy another one as we already have 2 of them at home.). 

As a side note Miss Millie our pup is not with us on this trip.  Our dear friends Ed and Julie Kerns are keeping her for us.  She loves going to camp Kerns.  Julie called Thursday night after we arrived to let us know that she had noticed Millie's urine had a pink tinge to it.  Oh no our poor baby.  We had no idea and the only way Julie was able to figure this out is she had her at a shop (that allows dogs) and Millie peed on the white floor).  So the next morning I called the vet and they needed a urine sample. Well long story short Ed took Millie to our vet and after several attempts at trying to get a sample the vet decided they would treat her for a UTI with some medication.  All I can say is thank God for these very special friends in our lives to care so wonderfully for our baby girl.  As last I heard she was doing fine.


Okay here are a couple of the pieces I was working on while Mike worked on the engine.  I was just playing around with scraps of paper, paint and pens.  It was fun to just play in my art journal and get back to things I used to do.




After a long hard day (Mike was able to get a well deserved nap in later in the day.) we headed out to Sodus Bay.  Mike had heard about this place and thought we needed some time away from the boat, which I agreed whole heartedly.  


What a beautiful place right on Lake Ontario.










I was in love with all the stunning hydrangeas.  We stopped for a walk at the Sodus Point Lighthouse Museum.  What a lovely peaceful place by Lake Ontario.  I could have spent all evening here.  









After relaxing an hour or so we headed back to the boat.  I fixed us some tuna melts (remember all the tuna I had opened earlier) and some fried apples.  We spent the rest of the evening relaxing.  I went to bed at 8:45 p.m. while Mike went down to talk with Steve a friend of Mikes here at the marina that is a wiz mechanic.  
(No unfortunately he doesn't work for the marina) He does though give free guidance to those who need it.  

Not sure what Sunday will bring.  Hope to get that engine started if for the only reason to get it over to the pump out.  As I am typing this the birds are waking up and singing their songs along with what I think is a bullfrog who has been serenading me for the last couple of hours.  



 

1 comment:

  1. The boat looks in great shape! I hope the engine will be in as great a shape as the boat. Gary

    ReplyDelete

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...