Friday, September 10, 2021

Brockport-new friends and old.


Thursday morning was beautiful.  For that matter the whole day was beautiful, but I am rushing ahead.  The morning started like usual, me waking up early (sleeping is just something I don't always excel at).  I enjoyed a steaming cup of coffee sitting in my chair, listening to Millie slightly snoring while I updated the blog.  Yes that is my usual morning ritual while cruising.

We were headed off to Brockport this morning to spend some time with our dear friends the Skoogs.  If you have read this blog in the past you have seen them mentioned before.  

After a quick but healthy breakfast Miss Millie and I went for our morning walk.  It was fairly quiet still just a faint sound of a trash truck in the distance getting an early start on their day.  


As the sun came up I knew the weather was going to be in our favor and cruising to Brockport would hopefully be uneventful.



So after getting Mike some breakfast, straightening some things up on the boat and taking Millie for yet another walk we headed out of Spencerport and on our way to Brockport.


Let me back up a minute.  While in Spencerport we met a lovely couple Mark and Teri.  They too were headed to Brockport that morning to stop there for a little while and enjoy some lunch.  They headed out very shortly after we did.  


The cruise to Brockport would only take an hour and as like the day before I spent most of the cruising time on the bow of the boat taking photos, imagine that.  There is so much to see from that vantage point.  The wildlife, the beautiful homes and the scenery well is like no other.  













Capitan Mike at the helm.




We arrived into Brockport about 10:30 a.m.  Other than a hire boat we were the only ones there.  We knew though that Mark and Teri were not to far behind and would be arriving soon.    




Upon Mark and Teri's arrival Miss Millie gave Teri a very friendly and enthusiastic greeting.  Once you make friends with Millie you have a friend for life. After we each got settled in we met up with Mark and Teri and asked if they would like to join us for lunch.  They quickly agreed and we were off in search of the BBQ place in town.  We enjoyed a fantastic meal and the the company, well they were delightful.  There is something about the folks you meet along the way while cruising are like no other.  Mike says it's because we all have "shared experiences". We may not have done them "together" so to speak ,but we all have similar boat stories.  Today was no different.  The conversation flowed freely and we knew that we had made some wonderful new friends.  



After lunch we headed back to the boats and as we were crossing the bridge Mike looked down at the boats and noticed that Mark and Teri's boat's bow line had come loose and the boat was well "lingering" in the middle of the canal.  Needless to say Mark and Teri started running to the boat.  We could see that there was a woman on the dock and another gentleman had actually climbed on the boat and was trying to get it back to the dock.  With the help of a kind stranger and the young woman from the Visitor Center they were able to get the boat secured back to the dock.  Whew crisis averted.  


After we said our good-byes to our new found friends Mike and I headed into town.  I had noticed this cute shop as we were walking earlier and wanted to stop in.  It was a delightful place and yes I contributed to the local economy while we were there.  





The Lift Bridge Book Shops mural was finished.  They were in the process of restoring it the last time we were in Brockport.  It was such a wonderful site.



After some retail therapy we decided to sit for a while and enjoy the view from the visitor center.  Millie loved just laying next to us and watching all the activity.  






Around 3:00 p.m. Lori and Gary Skoog arrived at the visitor center to pick us up and take us back to their farm.  I have said this many times before and I will say it again.  Their home and farm is MAGICAL!  One instantly feels at home upon arrival at Skoog Farm.  The first thing I noticed were the flowers, they were everywhere and I simply couldn't soak them in fast enough.  So yes I took lots of photos.  












They not only have gorgeous flowers, but an abundance of fruits and vegetables growing all over.  Lori and Gary loaded us up with literally bags of fresh fruits and vegetables to take back to the boat.  They will last us well after we arrive back home.  Their generosity is beyond words.  


Gary working on gathering up some potatoes and squash for us.







Right before dinner the rains came.  Luckily I had noticed on my phone they were calling for a storm to roll in.  Gary was kind enough to drive us back to the boat so that we could make sure everything was secure on board and that all our "leaky places" were under control.  We then returned back to the farm for an incredible dinner.



Millie loves coming to Skoog farm to visit all her animal friends.



Lori sets a beautiful table with Bread, Sausages, Potato Salad, Bean Salad, Tomato Salad .  Most of it was from their farm or a friends.  A happy food coma experienced afterwards.  Oh and did I mention after dinner she fixed ice cream with fresh raspberries (from their garden) for dessert.


While we were sitting around the table after dinner "Little Wonder" their pup came up to Mike and allowed him to pet him.  This was huge as Little Wonder is well choosey as to who he buddies up with.  


After dinner Lori took me out to another part of the garden and while she picked us some  tomatoes I picked us some raspberries.  I must admit this is the first time I had ever done that.  Always a new experience at the Skoog Farm.  






Gary went to the garden and dug out some beets for us too.  I have all new recipes to find and new foods to cook with.  I can hardly wait.  





After another delightful evening with our dear kind and generous friends Gary took us back to the boat.  It had been another Superb day and we were exhausted.  
Off to sleep it was.  












 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...