Friday, August 5, 2022

Brothers Birthday Weekend in Williamsport, PA


For those of you that don't know this is my brother Gary.  As brothers go he is the BEST!  He has ALWAYS been there whenever I have needed him and even sometimes when I didn't realize I needed him.  This year he turned 65.  Yes brother I shared your age, but I know that you are happy for all those wonderful years.  For his birthday he wanted a trip back to Williamsport, PA, the birthplace of both our parents and home to all of our Grandparents for as long as we knew them.  Oh and for some hoagies. (More on that later.)


We left Ohio early this morning.  


Okay we all know I am a cloud whore, so enjoy!



As a child we all knew when you came across Clyde Peelings Reptiland we knew that Grandma's was just down the road.  Hard to believe this place is still here.


Our first stop was the lookout that oversees all of Williamsport.  It was gorgeous.


Yes the wonderful spouses joined us on this quest.  God Bless them for their patience as Gary and I were reminiscing all day.  


The view was spectacular.


After checking in to our hotel we headed across the street to the World Little League Stadium.  I have some fun memories of this place first as a child rolling down the hills then when we brought our own children back and they all rolled down the hill to the stadium.  The Little League World Series starts this month and the place will be packed with people from all over the world.  



From there just a few blocks away we drove by our Grandmother Weavers old home.  She lived on the left side of this double for many years.  I have memories of Gary and I swinging on her front porch and looking up to the mountains.  Then of course hearing Grandma scold us (gently) for swinging too hard and running into the window.  



After spending some time driving through South Williamsport. (Where our mother grew up) We then headed over to Williamsport on the other side of the Susquehanna River.  The location above was once a diner that was owned by my other Grandparents (Ramin).  The lived just down the street, unfortunately that beautiful home was demolished many years ago and replaced with an insurance company.  (insert frown face here)


Loved this cloud photo with the church steeple.

We continued our journey on to Montoursville. We were searching for the cemetery where our grandparents Ramin were buried.  These were my Dads parents.  



Yes even at the cemetery I could enjoy the clouds.  

Afterwards we headed to Humpty Dumpty's for some dinner.  Well how does one describe Humpty Dumpty's?  Shear nirvana if you asked my brother.  You see the original location was just around the corner from my Grandmother Weavers in South Williamsport and while visiting we ALWAYS made a visit there for a meal.  One of Gary's favorite meals is their hoagies (or subs as you Ohioans would call them.) We literally drove over 400 miles today for this specific meal.  The funny thing is this is not the first time this has happened.  Gary LOVES THESE THINGS!   He has even had friends bring some back to him if they were in the area.  After talking with the now new owner she has even agreed to meet him on Sunday morning before we leave and make him 8 (yes you read that right) to go.  They aren't even open on Sunday's.  She loved his story so much that I guess she couldn't resist.   



This photo does not really depict the joy this man was experiencing being able to enjoy one of these sandwiches.  But the one below does, specially when the owner said he could purchase one of their T-shirts.  So now he can say "been there, done that and got the T-shirt".  Oh how I love this man!


Afterwards we headed for downtown as we noticed a street fair going on when we came through earlier.  


Thought of you Mr. & Mrs. Bacon when I saw this sign. 


Gorgeous planters.


The street fair was a lot of fun.  It went for about 4 city block in all directions.



These murals were stupendous.  You were surrounded by them in this square.



Yes the 60 and over crowd can have a great time too!


On our way back to the hotel we took a drive down Millionaires Row. There are approximately 26 mansions on this row.  See the info I found on line below as to why it is called Millionaires Row. 

  • "The crown jewel of Williamsport was West Fourth Street in the 1800s. The city was home to more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the country. It was the lumber business and the lumber barons that contributed to the boom in home and church construction. Many of these homes can still be seen today!"

    Tomorrow we are headed to Rickettes Glenn State Park.  

 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember visiting your grandma there for a weekend with you. First time I was ever out of Ohio. She was an amazing lady 💕

    ReplyDelete

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...