Friday, June 17, 2022

Waiting for the rain

Thursday morning started out a little warmer and a bit more humid than it had been.  You could just tell there were storms on the way.  Or at least I could feel it in my joints.  So we headed out early to get our walk in before the heat and humidity would make it unbearable.





I spotted this bird house on our walk this morning.  Look at all those great colors and weathered wood.  Simple things make this lady smile. 


As you can tell from the photo above we were the only ones on the wall Thursday morning.  It was very quiet, well except for the traffic over the bridge behind us.  The plan for the day was to get some boat chores done.  Mike was working on some of the mechanical jobs, like fixing our horn, while I was cleaning the inside of the boat.  The interior living space on our boat is approximately 230 square feet so cleaning everything takes less than an hour.  I also had some organizing I wanted to get done. After living on the boat for over 2 weeks I was beginning to see what was working and what wasn't in regards to storage and such.


The plants I brought from home are flourishing, they seem to get just enough light through the hatch up above.  Yes there are always some books on board.  Mostly they are Mikes as he is an avid reader.  We either pick them up at thrift stores or often times the towns along the canal have a "take one leave one" area for boaters to exchange books.  You never know what you might find.  


By mid morning the temperatures were already in the 80's and the humidity made it feel like the 90's so venturing out just didn't seem like a good idea.  So there was plenty of time for puppy snuggles.


After lunch I entertained myself by digging into some of the water colors I had brought along. These were the easiest (and smallest) art supplies I could bring along as my other things would just have taken up way too much space.  I haven't dabbled in water colors, well since high school.  It was fun and helped pass the time.  I am always up for trying some different types of media.  


Mike filled his time with some reading and some computer work.  


Miss Millie well she did what she does best, nap!


About 4:00 p.m. is when the storms finally started rolling through.  The rain came down pretty hard and some hail, but not as much of that as we had a couple of days ago.  The wind was a bit more fierce this time.  What I didn't get a photo of was the water GUSHING out of the drain pipes that come out of the wall.  Needless to say you need to be really careful as to where you tie up your boat if you know it's going to rain.  










These poor folks, in a hire boat, were traveling during the thick of it.  They ended up pulling in right behind us, luckily the rain had quit by the time they had secured their boat.

I fixed us a simple dinner of ham, green beans and potatoes as not to heat up the cabin of the boat.  The rest of the evening was quiet and uneventful.  The storms had all passed through and we were looking forward to a better cruising day on Friday.  



 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is good to have a day of a few chores and some leisure time. Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better weather today.

    ReplyDelete

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...