Tuesday morning was GLORIOUS! I awoke early like always. It was dark when I first stepped outside and the stars were abundant and shining so beautifully. I knew it was going to be a good day!.
As the sun began rising I decided to take Millie and myself for a walk around our marina while Mike was still sleeping. There was a little mist beginning to form on the water as the warm sun was rising. I am always facinated when this happens. I understand all the science behind it, but it is still such a mystical site to see.
I returned back to the boat as I knew we had some things to do this morning before we could leave on our journey. After breakfast, a trip to the grocery store for some last minute provisioning, and a quick stop at the fuel dock (which the cost of that about put me in shock) we were off! And yes this time the engines ran perfectly.
I am not sure what it was but this start about brought me to tears. I guess because we have worked so hard and gone through so many set backs to get to this point that actually getting away from the dock and onto the canal was like breathing new air.
So we were on our way. Mike at the helm and I seated at the front of the boat, camera in hand. Life was good! One of the things I love so much about the canal is all the many things you see along your journey. This little one below welcomed us with what looked to me as a smile.
There are so many different types of dwellings along the way. From small shacks to million dollar mansions.
If you look closely in the photo below a young couple were out simply enjoying the morning sun.
We then passed under what would be our first of many bridges on our journey west.
I ran up to the bridge at this point to snap a photo of the two of us. This photo truly depicts joy and happiness. It's hard to explain the joy we feel being back on the canal.
Okay enough of us, back to the cute things. I saw this fur baby enjoying a romp in the water as we cruised by. No worries their owner was close by.
Some sites along the canal.
Our first major town to come upon was Fairport. Now if you have read the blog before you will remember that Mike and I were here about a month ago with the "Traveling Sisters" Julie and Cyndi. It's a whole different view from the water. This could have been a place to dock for the day but we had plans to make it further west on the canal to Spencerport.
While going through Fairport, you must call for the bridge tender to raise the bridge. This time instead of going over the bridge we were traveling under it.
More sites along the way.
Below are the docks at Bushnell Basin, we may stop here on our way back.
We then would soon be arriving at our first lock of the day. Yes we wear these outstanding gloves. They are an absolute must as the lines you need to grab are well extremely slimy and can rip up your hands. Of course I found some pink ones for me.
We pulled into our first lock with no problem. We would be sharing the lock with a hire boat that had entered before us. Once again the process of transiting a lock came back and we seemed like old pros.
"Lock Slime"
The hire boat we shared our first lock of the day with.
As we were waiting on our second lock to open we noticed that the two boats coming out were actually guys from our marina in Macedon. They gave us a shout out as the cruised by us going east.
The view from the boat as we were rising up in the canal.
A panoramic view of the canal.
A boat coming from the opposite direction. It was a 26ft Hunter Sailboat. As Mike reminded me, that was exactly the same as the first boat we ever owned, many, many years ago.
The tug below was pushing a barge full of what they had dredged out near the Genesee River.
Oh the Graffiti
Above a photo of the three bridges near the Genesee River.
Below crossing the Genesee River. It was pretty much a non event, but fun none the less.




























































No comments:
Post a Comment