Monday, August 15, 2022

Waterfalls, Wakes and Trains


Beautiful start to Sunday in Medina


We had no real plans for the day except to relax and figure out where to go next.  



The two other boats from Ohio got an early start heading east on the canal.


This is the view from our boat across the canal.  This morning we would be taking a walk to the other side to see the water fall.


Some more early morning views.



This was our view from the other side of the boat.  Look at all those lovely old buildings made from the local  red sandstone.  Oh the stories those buildings could tell. 


Miss Millie and I took our usual short morning walk and then headed back to the boat for some breakfast.


Someone was hungry for her breakfast and kept a close eye on me while I was preparing it.  




After breakfast I worked on fixing up those luscious cucumbers and onions that the Skoogs had sent back with us.  They would be part of our dinner this evening.


Mid morning we headed out for a walk.  We headed west along the canal wall over the bridge and on to the other side of the canal.  Our destination was to see the waterfall.  




Yes that is a BIG APPLE.  We are in New York don't ya know. 



This mural above was a work in progress.  Being an artist myself I was fascinated by the drawings and what had already been completed.  Wow what a huge undertaking this was. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it is finished. 



We headed west along the canal wall.  As you will see by the photos parts of the wall are starting to break away. I guess after 100+ years that is to be expected. 


The view from this side of the canal was perfect.  It was a wonderful view of the town and of course seeing our boat and the others was pretty great too.





Mike was fascinated by the construction of this embankment as it was construction with a huge curve as seen in the photo above.




Ah yes the falls.  You can hear them from the boat but they are not visible until you are pretty much on top of them.  



After enjoying the falls we headed back into town.





Later that morning the gentleman who was docked behind us stopped by to talk with Mike about some possible places to stop along the canal.  The gentleman was from Canada and the guide he had was several years old.  So Mike talked with him about all the locations along the canal and things to watch out for.  He was cruising solo in a boat he had built himself.  We were both so very impressed.  




Before lunch we headed back into town.  I was thrilled to be able to get a better shot of this beautiful old church and the bright red door.  Definitely inspirational!


The towns architecture was just fascinating .


Our destination for the morning was the railroad and toy museum


This place was phenomenal.  The amount of work that has gone into this display has seriously been a labor of love.










Yep even brought back some memories of my own.  




We returned from the museum and enjoyed some lunch.  Mike took a nap and I worked on editing some photos.  Later in the afternoon as the boat traffic picked up a bit our boat started rocking.  And boy do I mean rocking!  Woke Mike straight out of bed and startled me just a bit.  You see this part of the canal you are surrounded by concrete and the water from the wake of the boats coming through just bounces back and forth from wall to wall moving our boat around as if it were a toy.  As long as you were sitting down it wasn't too bad, but when you are preparing dinner it gets a bit dicey.  Luckily it would only occur occasionally.  That's just one of those things they don't tell you in the "brochure" so to speak.  

Also when I went to take a shower in their facilities the women side had no hot water.  Ooops, well that' not exactly what I said but you get the idea.  So I came back to the boat to get Mike's help.  I ended up using the mens shower and Mike stood vigilantly out side the door so as to make sure I didn't have any unwanted company.  

The rest of the evening was quiet.  By this time we had a change of neighbors.  Everyone that was there the night before had left and two of the hire boats had pulled in for the night.  We chatted with both couples for a while then spent a quiet evening aboard.  Tomorrow we would be leaving for Middleport.  


 

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of the town were great, but I would love to see the toy and train museum. Gary

    ReplyDelete

Saying good-bye (for now)

Wednesday started out with beautiful cloudy skies.  Just enough sun coming through to make the morning sky interesting.  So I took a bunch o...